Monday 26 August 2013

7 Things to do while at TISS


Its just close to 4 months that I have passed out of college and started working. In retrospect, I don't have any qualms on how I spent my 2 years at TISS. Some areas I have done well and in other areas I would have loved to spend a little more time

It also doesn't mean that no one ever told us these things when we were at TISS, most of our alumni are kind enough to share the wisdom but I never put it into practice.

So my list of things in no particular order

(1) Learn Stats: If there is only one subject if you want to study in the entire 2 years, that is usage of stats and statistical tools. Data has absolute power and interpretations from data is much more powerful than hi-fi theories or frameworks. I never really understood stats, but planning to start learning it again from scratch. So when time is still there make the best use of it

(2) Powerpoint presentations : Though many would become pro in this aspect having done absolute awesome presentation in plain 10 minutes time, its one area spending some time on. Ability to express oneself clearly in minimal possible words is an art in itself and its worth practising

(3) EXCEL: Excellence in excel helps you almost every single day. we constantly deal with data and mastery over different functions of excel will help u in the long run

(4)Fieldworks: Though we (Tissians) always pride ourselves about how our course curriculum is so relevant to industry with 4 Fieldworks and 1 summer internship, the real importance I could realise only when I am on the job.
Most of the activities we take up in organizations are either done by us in our fieldwork organizations or atleast one of our friends could have worked on them.

(5)Downloads: This is one area where I have serious regrets. Instead of downloading 100's of GBs of movies ( I know movie download is now banned in TISS....Sarcastic smiley :) ) , I should have spent the same time in downloading research articles . Each article priced any where above $30 is not some thing you would like to buy in personal capacity. So it would be very prudent to have a data base of research topics on all areas of interest.

Need to reiterate Mulla sir's words here: If u are not reading atleast one research paper a day, u would soon be obsolete. Though not a paper every day, we should be in touch with latest happenings...My batchmates and seniors would agree on this

(6)Usage of facilities: I used to stay in hostel 3 which is right next to gym and indoor badminton courts. Though I had spent some time in both these places, having to cough up so much money to avail the same facilities outside now, I think I should have spend some more time in them. Its not an exaggeration when I say that there are people who passed out of TISS with out ever visiting these places

(7) store the data: It doesn't matter whether you have taken the subject or not. Its always better to keep a proper record of all the copies shared by faculty. I have not taken T&D as an optional in college but then my first area has much to do on training and palo madam's articles are of much help

That's it as of now. I have initially named the post as 10 things but as of now cannot think more..I have not included the fun aspects as that's some thing every one is damn good at ;) and HR parties always carried that aura in college




 

No comments:

Post a Comment